Memorandum of undersatnding between the Government of the Portuguese Republic and the Government of New Zealand on WORK AND HOLIDAY ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOUTH MOBILITY
This Memorandum of Undertanding establishes a framework for the cooperation between the Sgnatories for the grant of visas/permits to facilitate the mobility of young citizens to work and holiday in their respective countries, in accordance with the internal law of the States of the Signatories.
You might be able to get this temporary visa if you:
- Are a Citizen from New Zealand holding a passport valid for more than 12 months;
- Are 18–30 years-old at the time you apply for the visa;
- Will not be accompanied by dependents at any time during your stay;
- Intend primarily to holiday in Portugal for a period of up to 12 calendar months;
- Have enough money to support yourself during the whole stay in Portugal (about NZD 5000);
- Have an onward travel ticket or enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay;
- Have a valid health insurance during the whole stay in Portugal;
- Meet the health and character requirements and not have any criminal antecedents;
- Not have participated in the program before.
- Working and studying must be incidental to the holiday;
- Can work for up to 3 months with each employer;
- Can study for up to 6 months.
- Complete Application form (download here) with 1 passport type photo attached (recent photos);
- Passport or other travel document, valid for an additional 3 months following the duration of the intended stay;
- Two identical passport photographs, up-to-date and in good condition, allowing proper identification;
- Valid Passport and return visa to New Zealand (validity must extend until at least 3 months after the end of planned journey);
- Police certificate issued by the authorities of any country the applicant has reside for over one year;
- Authorisation for the Portuguese authorities to consult police records within the Schengen area (Criminal Record)
- Contact details for the place where you will be staying in Portugal (address, phone numbers and email);
- Letter explaining the reasons of applying for this Visa;
- Copy of medical and travel insurance covering comprehensive medical, hospitalisation and repatriation expenses for the duration of the stay;
- Declaration as attached signed (NZ Declaration under Rules of Engagement) and with signature certified by a Justice of the Peace;
- Evidence of sufficient funds (certified copy of a bank statement showing you have access to funds of at least NZD 5000 and proof of its availability in Portugal);
Lodge your application and supporting documents to our office:
Consulate General of Portugal | Level 17, 55 Clarence Street | Sydney NSW 2000 | Australia
[No interview is required].
Visa Costs: AUD 180,45 (payable by Money Order to “Consulate General of Portugal in Sydney” or by Bank Transfer upon request by email and with transfer receipt lodged with application forms).
Processing Times: Up to 30 days.
Documents to be presented are the general documents necessary for a visa application, without prejudice of the consular post requesting additional documents. Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.