Memorandum of undersatnding between the Government of the Portuguese Republic and the Government of Australia on WORK AND HOLIDAY ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOUTH MOBILITY
This Memorandum of Undertanding establishes a framework for the cooperation between the Sgnatories for the grant of visas/permits to facilitate the mobility of young citizens to work and holiday in their respective countries, in accordance with the internal law of the States of the Signatories.
You might be able to get this temporary visa if you:
- Are an Australian Citizen holding a valid Australian passport;
- Are at least 18 years of age but not yet 31;
- Will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay;
- Intend primarily to holiday in Portugal for a period of up to 12 (twelve) calendar months;
- Have enough money to support yourself on a working Holiday (about AUD 5000);
- Have an onward travel ticket or enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay;
- Meet health and character requirements;
- Hold tertiary qualifications or have successfully completed at least 2 years of undergraduate university study.
- Work must be incidental to the holiday;
- Can work for up to 6 months with each employer;
- Can study for up to 4 months.
- Apply online here and submit the printed form with 1 passport type photo attached (recent photos);
- 1 ID photo;
- Valid Passport and return visa to Australia (validity must extend until at least 3 months after the end of planned journey);
- Police certificate issued by the authorities of any country the applicant has reside for over one year;
- Authorisation for the Portuguese authorities to consult police records within the Schengen area (Registo Criminal PT); (Criminal Record EN)
- Contact details for the place where you will be staying in Portugal (address, phone numbers and email);
- Letter explaining the reasons of applying for this Visa;
- Copy of medical and travel insurance covering comprehensive medical, hospitalisation and repatriation expenses for the duration of the stay;
- Declaration as attached signed (Declaração PT) (Declaration under Rules of Engagement EN) and with signature certified by a Justice of the Peace;
- Evidence of sufficient funds (certified copy of a bank statement showing you have access to funds of at least AUD 5000 and proof of its availability in Portugal);
- Evidence of relevant educational qualifications;
- Exemption of Interview Request letter with valid reason (if request is not accepted, the interview is mandatory).
Visa Costs: AUD 180,45 (payable by Money Order to “Consulate General of Portugal in Sydney” or by Bank Transfer upon request by email and with transfer receipt lodged with application forms, if you do not require to attend the interview) or paid by cash on the interview date.
Address to send the documents (if an interview is not required and confirmed): Level 17, 55 Clarence Street, Sydney N.S.W. 2000.
Processing Times: Up to 30 days.